Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Power of Praying Scripture....

I'm not sure I have ever experienced anything as powerful as praying Scripture! It's not something that I have done for very long, and I have to admit I don't do it often enough. But when I do...Whoa! Hold On Tight! God usually moves in my spirit and I tend to have one intense prayer session.
I have always recorded scriptures that speak to me in my journal or on index cards but it wasn't until I participated in Beth Moore's Bible Study "Believing God" that I got to experience the power of praying scriptures.

God makes this promise in Isaiah 55:10-11

"As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: it will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."

We need to believe that God's Word is alive and active in our lives! What a privilege it is to pray God's Word, not only for ourselves, but for others. We have nothing to loose when praying God's powerful Word!
Beth Moore points out a few things in her study "Believing God"
  • God ordains that words of faith have more power than thoughts of faith alone: "Say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there.'" (2 Cor. 4:13)
  • Scripture tells us that if Christ's words dwell in us, we can use our mouths to speak or pray over situations, and the Holy Spirit will often bring powerful results.
  • Soon the scriptures you write have moved from ink on an index card to a truth abiding in your heart, and you can pray them from memory while driving or taking a walk.

Sometimes in our prayer lives, we face challenging and difficult situations that often leave us unsure of what to pray. Thankfully, we have God's Word to help us in those times.

Here is an example of a scripture I turned into a prayer regarding my future children, whether biological, adopted or both:

"Lord, it's so comforting knowing that you already know all the details of my future children. "For you will create their inmost being; you will knit them together in my (or their birth mother's) womb. I praise you because my children will be fearfully and wonderfully made. Your eyes see their unformed bodies. All the days ordained for them are written in your book before one of them comes to be. Praise You Lord!"

I find so much hope and encouragement praying God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment